Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Reconciling A Bank Statement

NOTE: TO PROTECT MY PRIVACY THE CREDITORS AND THE CHECK AMOUNTS WILL NOT BE SHOWN.JUST THE CHECK NUMBERS WHICH I ALSO HAVE CHANGED.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, their way and my way, and here's my way of reconciling a bank statement. First off I write my "balance this statement" or "end statement" and write the total on a separate piece of paper.

Next I look at the check numbers on my bank statement and notice my smallest check number is 1910 and largest is 1919  I write those numbers down on a sheet of paper.
1910
1911
1912
1913
1914
1915
1916
1917
1918
1919
The next step is to compare those check numbers on the sheet of paper against the bank check numbers on the bank statement, if the numbers are found in the bank statement then they're cross out on the extra sheet of paper, if not then I circle them.
.

Okay let's suppose all the check numbers are crossed out except for check numbers 1912 and 1918. First I have to make sure they are actually outstanding checks, I go through the previous bank statements about three months back and I notice I have found check number 1912 so I can cross that out as well. 

Then I check if I could  find check number 1918 on the previous bank statements but I cannot find it in any where in my previous bank statements, so check number 1918 remains an outstanding check.

                      I'm not done yet
I have to get my checkbook out and since the current bank statement ended in check number 1919  I write the numbers that are in my checkbook on the paper starting with 1920  on-- with the amounts written beside them.
1920
1921
1922
OLC
OLC

So what is OLC ? That's what I write in my checkbook when I pay by online check or electronic transfer; It's paying bills online .the dates and billers are also written down beside them.

I add the AMOUNTS of the checks (not the check numbers themselves)  plus the the two OLC amounts 1918 + 1920 + 1921+1922 + OLC + OLC

And I simply subtract that total amount from my "ending balance" or "balance this statement"   displayed on my bank statement, and the result is the money I have  in the bank now.

In short I find which check numbers are missing from my bank statements add their amounts then deduct the total for my current bank statement's "ending balance" or "balance this statement"

Of course there may be other charges as well, debit card and/or credit card which must be subtracted from the total and maybe outstanding deposits that should be added to that total.

Oh, one more thing if you want to make a cash withdrawal simply write a check to yourself and write that amount in your checkbook and then cash it from inside your bank.It's easier to make a record that way :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

That Sunday;That Spring

  Usually, when I fall down, on the floor, I can sometimes roll to my side, and lift myself up; But not this time, I had to use my life aler...