Thursday, January 10, 2019

Calculating TV Energy Costs

Last week I have bought a 32 inch led tv  on its box was a sticker saying if I only use it for only 5 hours a day and assuming my electric rate is 12 cents a kilowatt hour it would only cost me $6 a year to operate it. Is that true ? Let's find out. 

First off televisions like that only uses about 30 watts of electricity and if I use it only 5 hours a day  I need to multiply 30 by 5 which gives us the answer of 150 watt hours.

Next step is to change the watt hours to kilowatt hours I can do that by simply dividing 150 by 1000 which gives us the result of .15 kilowatt hours.

The next step is to multiply the amount of the kilowatt hours by the twelve cents electric rate .15 x .12 which gives us the answer of .018 cents a day, 

Finally multiply the .018 by 365 (days in a  non-leap year)
.018 x 365 which equals  6.57 so there we have it;  If a 30 watt tv is use 5 hours a day with a electric rate of 12 cents a kilowatt hour  then my yearly cost is $6.57 (six dollars and 57 cents)

 If the television is use for 10 hours a day simply double the $6.57 which makes it $13.14 a year.

Now if ones electric rate is only 6 cents a kilowatt hour simply half the totals:
                       $6.57 / 2 =$3.28 a year 5 hours a day.
                     $13.14 / 2 =$6.57 a year 10 hours a day.



                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

That Sunday;That Spring

  Usually, when I fall down, on the floor, I can sometimes roll to my side, and lift myself up; But not this time, I had to use my life aler...